Hey there! This post contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links. But it never influences our product selection process.
Summer is all about fruity cocktails to beat the summer heat. One of my all-time favorite spirits to make it is Malibu rum. The sweet flavor giving an intense sensation is all that we need. As long as summer is over, but the bottle is still there, you might think of where to store Malibu.
Whenever the season is over, and we need to store stuff for a long time, I think putting Malibu in the freezer could be a fantastic solution.
But my question is, can you put Malibu in the freezer? The answer is Yes. You can keep Malibu in the fridge. There’s nothing wrong with it. The shelf life of Malibu rum will increase. You need to ensure that the freezing point is lower than a point.
If you still feel confused about storing Malibu after the season is over, worry not. It’s pretty easy to do that. In my subsequent discussion, I will try to share with you some valuable tips for storing Malibu rum after opening it.
You may also like: Are pizza rolls still good in the fridge?
Can You Put Malibu In The Freezer?
Yes, why not. If you want to increase the shelf life, you can put Malibu in the freezer without any doubt. It has nothing to do with the quality of the rum. It will remain the same. However, it’s not required to keep Malibu in the freezer. It can last for months without refrigerating.
It’s advised to keep rum that has 15% or lower alcohol content in the refrigerator. On the other hand, if a rum has an alcohol content greater than 15%, there’s no need to keep it refrigerated.
As Malibu rum is the one that has more than 15% alcohol content, you can leave it at room temperature as well. Putting Malibu in the freezer will make it last for years.
How long does Malibu Rum last?
No one knows it better than the manufacturer. If you are wondering, Malibu Rum can indeed last for years. For authenticity, check the ‘best before date’ on the bottle. Note that it is not the actual date when the drink expires. It gives the right idea about the drink losing its quality.
I can give you an idea of how long Malibu rum lasts. If unopened, it will last approximately ten years. Yes, ten years. It’s unbelievable, but it is true. If the bottle is opened, it can last for one to two years. Make sure to seal it tightly, as it can attract insects due to its sugar content.
Keeping the opened bottle at room temperature for more than a year may change its natural taste. So, keep Malibu in the fridge if you want to maintain its freshness. The manufacturer usually suggests consuming it within one year after opening it. However, I have never seen Malibu lose its quality, even after two years.
How to store malibu rum after opening?
You can store an opened bottle of Malibu Rum like any other spirit. However, you should follow some tips and tricks to preserve its quality. Here are 5 best tips to store Malibu rum after opening:
- First of all, keep the bottle airtight. One reason to do this is to protect it from insects. Another one is to save it from evaporating. As Malibu consists of 21% alcohol content, it can evaporate quickly.
- Keep the bottle away from heat or sunlight. Avoid places like windows or near the burner. Heat can degrade the alcohol’s natural flavor and freshness. Store it in a dark cabinet away from a burner or radiator. The ideal temperature to keep Malibu rum is 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It’s a good idea to keep it in a cool and dry place. With cool in the kitchen, the refrigerator or freezer always comes to mind. So can you keep Malibu in the freezer? Yes, it’s better to put rum in the freezer than in the pantry. It will undoubtedly prolong the shelf life, and the rum will last longer without changing the flavor.
- Never keep a half-filled bottle. Shocked? What’s wrong with a half-filled bottle? Because there’s always half a bottle left when you consider storing it. Shift it to another small bottle that can be filled up completely. The reason behind doing this is that in a half-filled bottle, there are chances of pressure build-up that can degrade the liquor’s quality.
Will Malibu rum freeze in the freezer?
Malibu rum has a freezing point similar to vodka, usually minus 25 degrees Celsius or minus 15 degrees Fahrenheit. For the rum to get frozen, it is necessary to achieve this temperature.
If your freezer is set at the standard setting, which is usually 0 degrees Celsius for most refrigerators, then don’t expect rum to get frozen. How’s it possible? It may seem surprising that when you put water in the freezer, it converts into ice.
Then how come rum won’t freeze? Note the difference between the freezing point of water and Malibu. Water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius, while Malibu doesn’t.
You may also like: Is publix sushi good the next day?
Can Malibu rum go bad?
Yes, Malibu rum can go bad. Its appearance, flavor, color, and smell can change over time. If you are in doubt about your drink, note the following signs that Malibu rum has gone bad:
- When you open a bottle of Malibu rum kept for a long time, smell it. If you get a sour smell like fermentation, note that the Malibu has gone bad. It can also smell flat, not like the typical smell of Malibu.
- Another sign is its cloudy or milky appearance. When you pour it into the glass, you may notice some particles inside the rum.
- The color of Malibu can also change if it is kept for longer than a year after opening the bottle.
- The last thing is the flavor. It is pretty standard for Malibu to change its flavor. It loses its freshness as time passes, and the such flavor is difficult to sip.
Have Any Questions?
Can you drink Malibu coconut rum by itself?
Yes, you can drink Malibu coconut rum by itself if you like. It is 20% alcohol which is not too strong.
By the way, I like to mix it with pineapple juice and a lot of ice. It tastes so good like this. You can also mix it with other liquors, lime juice, orange juice, or cranberry juice.
Why did my malibu freeze?
Malibu rum usually does not freeze in the freezer. It only gets chilled. If it gets frozen, then check the temperature of your freezer. It may be less than 0 degrees Celsius, and Malibu can freeze at minus 25 degrees Celsius.
Does pineapple malibu freeze?
Yes, pineapple Malibu freezes at the freezing point of rum. It depends on the freezer’s temperature to either freeze the Malibu or not. In your average home freezer, the pineapple Malibu will not freeze but turn icy.
Does strawberry malibu freeze?
Yes, strawberry Malibu freezes at the freezing point of rum. It depends on the freezer’s temperature to either freeze the Malibu or not. In your average home freezer, the pineapple Malibu will not freeze but turn icy.
Can you cook with malibu rum?
Yes, you can use Malibu rum in different recipes, including drinks like Pina colada, Cocktails, Malibu soda water, Malibu lemonade, etc. You can try baking a cake with Malibu rum.
Does malibu rum need to be refrigerated after opening?
It is not a requirement to refrigerate it after opening, but you can put Malibu in the freezer to maintain its freshness and flavor.
I hope your mind is clear: “Can you put Malibu in the freezer?” If you are planning on storing Malibu after the season gets over, freezing it is the option. You’ll not only get the same flavor as it was but a fizzy, icy drink at the end of the day! Enjoy!